Author Posts

October 12, 2018 at 7:43 am

How to stop drinking alcohol completely

October 13, 2018 at 10:15 pm

– Avoid temptation

– Give up or gradually reduce your drinking

October 13, 2018 at 10:16 pm

If you want to stop drinking alcohol as part of a move towards a healthier lifestyle, cutting down on the amount of alcohol you drink as opposed to giving up alcohol completely can help bring lots of health benefits, and can be easier to stick to. Reducing the amount you drink can also be an effective stepping stone to giving up alcohol completely in the future.

Cutting down doesn’t have to be complicated. If you drink every night, start by designating a couple of days a week as alcohol-free days. This can soon become habit, the personal challenge helping remove the temptation and perhaps encouraging you to add more alcohol-free days. Official alcohol unit guidance is that it is safest for both and women to not regularly drink more than 14 units a week and not to ‘save up’ your units but spread them our evenly over the week.

September 27, 2019 at 5:25 am

I pulled the cork from the first bottle, had a little drink,
Kissed the bottle tenderly, poured it down the sink,
Uncorked the second, did the same as before,
Before I poured it down the sink, I drank a little more.
Uncorked the third and I drank a little toast
To the losing of the ten friends I really like the most.
Stood to attention, had another little drink,
Threw the cork in the bucket and the whisky down the sink.

Oh the next three bottles they were very quickly swilled,
As I uncorked the drainage, only drank a gill,
But the next one caught me for the cork was very tight,
The room was going round and round, which didn’t help my plight.
I fought to gain my balances, I leaned against the wall,
I couldn’t draw the room from the damn sink at all.
When at last I drew it, with a mighty plop,
Fell on my arse and I drank a glass of cork.

The eighth sink was different, for the glass was very slack.
I held the room with one hand and I knocked the bugger back.
I tried to count the empties as they danced before my eyes,
I’d only counted twenty three when much to my surprise,
There were ten sinks of whisky, every one uncorked,
The drain in the bottle it was very badly blocked.
Then I heard my wife, as on the door she knocked,
Fell in the bath tub, drank the bloody lot.

September 27, 2019 at 9:45 am

What things changed in your life after you quit drinking?

A lot changed in my life when I stopped drinking. I will add that they were for the better.

I drank my very last drink on July 4, 1999. What I was drinking was a Bud Light 12 oz can of beer. It was 10:30 at night and I said to myself “I can’t do this anymore. I’m tired of the 2-3 day hangovers and waking up feeling like shit every single day”.

This is when I decided it was time to change my life for the better.

I was in an abusive relationship at the time and when we both were drinking it was not good. It’s like the saying goes “Two wrongs do not make a right”.

September 27, 2019 at 10:17 am

We also were going out with a group of friends on New Year’s Eve to see a local band play. All the members of the band were our friends as well. I wanted to ensure myself that I could refrain from drinking any alcohol when this holiday rolls around. For the record; I only had one sip of champagne to toast the new year.

In answer to the question; how has my life changed:

I didn’t wake up every morning feeling like shit anymore.
I could concentrate better and be more focused at work.
February 2000, I kicked the abusive asshole to the curb. I had more strength at that point to leave him.
I saved myself a lot of money by not buying alcohol for myself or for anyone else.
I didn’t have to take the chance of drinking and driving any longer.
It made me realize how better my life is without it. Alcohol has been proven to be a depressant, so it was not a good thing for my mental state.
My physical and mental health are in a better state since I quit drinking.
If I ever decided to have children, I would not have to worry about drinking while pregnant. To be clear; I would not do that.
I cut out all the negative and toxic people associated with the abusive ex from my life.
Overall; it defined me as a better person as to who I am today.
I am thankful that I didn’t have to go to rehab for my drinking. It was very close at that point. I was drinking up to a 12 pack of beer on most nights. That is not good for anyone!

Do I miss drinking? Absolutely not! If you offered me a mixed drink, a shot or a beer, I would politely decline. The only person I would indulge in a drink with is my good friend Robert Puckett. He knows what my favorite drink is.

In closing; quit drinking is the best thing I could do to live a better life!

September 27, 2019 at 10:31 am

I’m of the mindset that there is more harm than good in drinking alcohol. I used to drink, it started turning into a problem, I quit drinking, and I don’t miss it.
There’s a lot of baggage associated with drinking, from addiction, health problems, and a tendency to make very bad decisions to major affects such as being a fueling factor to violence. Many people are killed daily by drunk drivers, and alcohol has been present in a high percentage of rape and violent crimes.
This is not to say that drinking will make you assault your family or friends or kill someone with your vehicle, but it does impair your judgement, and coordination and loosen inhibition.
In my time drinking, I never committed any crimes, but I did plenty of things I’m not proud of and would never have done sober. It also started hurting more and more the next day. After a while, the morning hangover wasn’t worth the night before. Another thing about alcohol that people don’t see coming is the dependence. No one ever planned on becoming an alcoholic, they lost control over time. This may not be a problem if you have strong willpower, but many alcoholics don’t realize they have a problem for years.
I decided to quit completely and feel my life is better without it. I don’t like not being in control of my emotions and sense of decency. I’ve drank enough in my life to know that alcohol doesn’t offer anything new, so I see no need to continue.
I recommend getting away from drinking if you can, while people can argue that there probably won’t be a problem with drinking in moderation, quitting altogether guarantees it won’t ever become one.