Author Posts

November 7, 2019 at 6:15 am

Who has told medical students are not enjoying . we do enjoyment too but yaa medical profession is little tough but I will say I and most of us enjoy their curriculum it’s quite interesting . Each day brings some new adventure .All those who are misleading are those who are not having interest in medicine

November 7, 2019 at 9:14 am

Because of you people!

Yes. You guys who don’t understand or even try to understand what we go through. Think that we are just exaggerating when we share about our hardships with you.

We are overstressed because everyone expects us to exceed our capacity. We are expected to know everything, remember everything, study everything.. and what not. All this from whom? From our teachers and lecturers sure. But also from you lay men who are our relatives and friends.

November 7, 2019 at 11:16 am

(US-centric answer)

I can only offer my personal experience because the answer probably varies from school to school, since every school has a different culture and environment. I happen to go to a school that encourages its students to work together and learn from each other, rather than see other students as competition. Also keep in mind that I’m only a first-year, so boards are not yet upon us.

So I went to college at a university that is very competitive to get into, in a very difficult major to do well in. My non-premed undergraduate classes were hard, and I often slept less than 4 hours for several days in a row each week because there was just so much homework to do, so many projects and papers to write, and so much material to stay on top of in addition to all the assignments I had to turn in weekly. (Not to mention the stress of applying to medical school and constantly questioning whether you’re good enough to get accepted anywhere.)

Medical school is a very different kind of stressful. At least where I am, we don’t have homework. We might get the occasional “go shadow at the hospital and then write a 1-page reflection essay on it,” or “get together with your group and do a 5-minute presentation on [disease],” or “take the quiz we posted on the website before you come to class tomorrow.” But there are no regular weekly homework problem sets or anything like that. The only grades we have come from exams. You don’t even need to come to class because all the lectures are recorded for you to watch at home. The only thing you’re required to do is learn all the material for each unit before you come in for the unit exam, and the material is fairly straightforward and easy to understand.

That might not sound so bad, and I thought so too at first, but there is a LOT of information to learn in each unit. I think our biochemistry course, which ran for 3 months, basically covered all the material that you would learn in 2 whole semesters of college biochemistry.

And there are only so many exams. So basically, if you fuck up on one exam, you might fail the class and need to take a summer remedial course or be expelled (also, you still have to pay off student loans). Because there are no homework questions to reinforce our understanding of the material, it’s also harder to prepare for exams than in college. Sure, you can take the practice tests they put on the class website, but there’s no guarantee that the actual exam will be like them. And if you do badly on the practice tests, they don’t even help you figure out which topics you need to study more because they just show you how little you know about everything, and then you’re reeling back like “I am sooooo screwed.”

Also keep in mind that, despite the “everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya, we care about your well-being” culture of our school, a lot of medical students have “type A” personalities and have ridiculously high expectations for themselves (*raises hand guiltily*). So a lot of people can burn out after the first exam when they get their scores back after the “fundamentals” unit and see they only scored an 89% on a test that was on basic shit they should already know from high school biology. WTF, I did better than this in college, and I had *homework* in college!??? And if you went into medical school with a case of Impostor Syndrome, a bad test score—especially on stuff you should already know coming in—will just make it worse.

Add to that the fact that you’re terrified of failing, so you’re studying all the time (and some people study better alone instead of wasting time goofing off with their friends) and you can certainly get stressed out/burned out students who have to study just to stay afloat and don’t have time to make any friends. Meanwhile, if they have unsupportive, abusive parents/spouses berating them for not doing well enough, that’s certainly a recipe for feeling trapped and suicidal.

November 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm

I am sure that some issues are common between medical students while others differ, so what i am about to say may apply to all of us or just me :

Here are the reasons that we get so stressed out during our journey:

Details. medicine is known for its long and non ending studies, but what ‘s frustrating is that in addition to that, you need to memorize those tiny details from each book, believe me those little things are what professors enjoy to ask in their exams, so now what is the most important thing? the disease and its signs or the one who discovered it?
The results: this part is very very stressful, it’s just horrible. After taking your exams you have to wait to see whether you passed or not. Now you may think that by just reading your books or your notes, from those long lectures, that you will pass the exam in a heartbeat since that’s exactly what you answered to all those questions, well get prepared to be shocked : despite all that you may fail your exam, why? because the professor says that the information you took notes of days ago during the lecture is not correct, even though he said it himself, so now what? you have to retake the exam, that’s not the problem, what will bother you is the possibility that he may do the same trick in the second exam, which adds more to your stress.
So at the end, medical school can be very stressful sometimes, and can push you to your limits. But like always, what keeps you up is your love and passion for it, as long as you have them you will always be able to fight through this.