Author Posts

September 17, 2019 at 5:19 am

What’s the best way to react when someone is shouting at you in anger?

September 17, 2019 at 5:20 am

If you are sure you are in no physical danger, don’t do anything.
Don’t move.
Don’t speak.
Don’t nod.
Don’t break eye contact.
Wait it out.

Sooner or later the shouter will realize that he/she is getting no where and will say something like, ‘Well, aren’t you going to say anything?’
Your response at this point should be, ‘Not until you are calm’. Full stop.

If the shouting resumes, simply remain impassive until it ends, no matter how long it takes.

Refusing to ‘feed’ someone’s anger will result in them deflating a lot sooner than if you attempt to rebut or appease.

If they stomp out in anger, let them go.
Don’t bring up the situation later.
Let them do so if they choose, but once again, refuse to engage with them unless and until they are ready to discuss with you in a calm respectful manner.

September 17, 2019 at 5:21 am

Just follow these steps:

Don’t say anything. Just look at them while they shout.
Wait until they are finished.
Ask them if they are finished. If they say yes, say either:
Do you feel better now? Then continue on as if they said nothing.
Nothing. Just continue on as if they said nothing.
I like this method because it puts them out on a limb by themselves. Don’t walk out on that limb with them. It makes them look silly because they’re alone out there.

This works for children having temper tantrums as well.

September 17, 2019 at 5:22 am

No one can come out with Best solution for it .

But A Better Solution.

When someone is shouting at you in anger , then follow these things,

Don’t argue back .
Don’t try to justify anything immediately even if the mistake is not from your side .
Don’t smile or laugh just for the sake of controlling yourself .
Don’t look at anywhere . Focus on them . Act like you are listening to their words ( It gives them a mental satisfaction while shouting in anger that you are listening )
Show your puppy face instead of being cool or never mind attitude.
If they are having blood pressure or prone to shouting , then call some her/his close one to come immediately for a rescue . If no one is there , then just out a kneel down . Seriously , try it . That will become a shock and they will reduce the tempt . ( If you think that the person’s life is worth for you , otherwise follow the above )
After they finished shouting , now don’t go immediately to explain what happened. Just wait for 2 minutes . they will take a breathe for sometimes . Now go and approach and say ,
Sir/ma’am/maa/dad/darling/love/sister/brother/aunt/uncle/baby/ I’m trying to understand how responsible position you have kept me in your mind and heart . I’m unfortunately lacking in something that you are regretting now . I will promise you that I will never repeat it again and apologize me wholeheartedly. I have taken all of your words as my grace and reminder to do the next task neatly and perfectly .

As per the situation , change the content with polite words and then leave the place slowly .

Whether you have done the mistake or not , for a moment you have to act like a culprit to convince them . when they are getting normal , and understanding the truth behind it , then their mind will fix more confidence and trust from your side . It will definitely happen .

Patience is very important in life .

There is a Quote in Tamil “ Poruthaar Bhoomi aalvaar “

Translation : “A peaceful patient mind can rule the world “

September 17, 2019 at 5:26 am

I faced a situation once where a customer came to my branch (bank) and started yelling at me. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what was the matter. He kept on shouting and taking a colleague’s name who had promised him something and did not deliver. He kept on demanding to meet her. I politely asked him to sit down. Asked one of the helpers to get him a glass of water. He quietened a bit. But still maintained that he wants to reprimand the person responsible for the issues he’s facing. I simply told him..Sir, you can shout at me. Cos me and my colleagues, all represent the bank. So an error on the part of one makes all of us responsible. Please allow me to rectify the error. That’s all it took. He was instantly calm. And later completely apologetic. Infact, I ended up securing a substantial deposit to add to my branch balance sheet that day!

All I did was

Be calm.
Be polite.
Understand the other person’s issue.
Offer solutions.
In situations where the yelling is unjustified

Be calm.
Don’t respond in the same vein. That’s what makes you different and mature.
Try to reason. ( If it’s worth your effort)
Or else..Walk away!
Remember..

September 17, 2019 at 5:27 am

Stay Calm. I know it sounds clichéd but trust me,it works. I have tried it. Atleast,I can assure you that it works.

When someone is angry,their rationality goes for a toss, after a point. Consequently,the anger becomes direction less. So,if you also start shouting at them in anger it will turn into a tumultuous situation leading to an argument. The argument will get heated as each one of you keeps raising your voice.

Then you will reach a point where you and the other person won’t even realise what the quarrel was originally about and why it had started. This will result in a dismal,painful and hurtful situation where both of you end up getting hurt (I am assuming the person who is shouting at you, is of importance to you and if he/she isn’t someone who matters to you,you need not expend your energy on them)

On the other hand,if you don’t react and stay calm the other person will cool down eventually, after ranting. They will see that you are not reacting and not saying much,so this will send a calming signal and hence,the person will tone down.

After the person has calmed down,you can discuss the issue more logically,apologise,admit the mistake was either yours or theirs etc.

So,it’s pretty simple. Stay calm! 🙂

September 17, 2019 at 5:31 am

I don’t like being yelled at. It is a diminishing thing to do to someone and it does not yield the results the shouter wants, at least not in the long term.

Yelling at anyone in an office environment is not acceptable. If you are the boss it’s an abuse of power.

I can’t think of a single reason why whatever mistake I made cannot be laid out in a respectful tone of voice, on the grounds that I am human.

Yelling at a lover or a friend is a transgression of healthy relationship boundaries.

When someone yells at me I can’t hear what they are saying. I can only hear that they are yelling.

The times someone has raised their voice at me I get up and walk out. I tell them from the frame of the door that I might be open to resuming the conversation when they have had a chance to cool off.